Sunday, January 13, 2013

Does it help to pray?


                             




Jesus Said So!

"Until now you have asked nothing in My name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full."
John 16:24

I have often pondered Jesus' words, and one question keeps returning to my mind.

How many prayers have I—or countless other believers—offered in Jesus' name that seemed to go unanswered? Hundreds? Thousands? Perhaps even more.

Yet I also know this: Jesus never lies. His words are always true.

So why does it sometimes seem as though our prayers are not answered?

Jesus also said that we should ask so that our joy may be full. But if our prayers remain unanswered, how can we experience that joy?

As I reflected on these questions, another thought came to me.

What does it really mean to pray in Jesus' name?

Is it simply adding the words "In Jesus' name" at the end of a prayer?

Or does it mean something much deeper?

Jesus gives us another clue in John 15:7:

"If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you."

Praying in Jesus' name is not merely saying His name at the end of our prayers. It is praying while abiding in Him, allowing His Word to shape our desires so that our hearts become more like His.

Then I began to examine my own heart.

  • Am I praying for things that honor Christ?
  • Am I asking for something that will draw me closer to God rather than farther from Him?
  • Am I praying wholeheartedly?
  • Are my motives pure and unselfish?
  • Am I praying with faith?
  • Are my prayers in agreement with God's Word?
  • Do I come before Him with humility?

The Bible gives us much to think about.

James writes,

"You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures."
James 4:3

John also reminds us,

"Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him."
1 John 5:14–15

These verses remind me that praying in Jesus' name means praying according to God's will, trusting that He knows what is best for us.

Sometimes our prayers may not be answered in the way we expect because our motives need refining, our faith is still growing, or because God lovingly sees what we cannot. At other times, God simply has a better plan than ours. His answer may be "Yes," "Wait," or "No," because His wisdom is infinitely greater than ours.

The apostle Paul experienced this himself. He pleaded three times for God to remove his "thorn in the flesh," yet God's answer was different:

"My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness."
2 Corinthians 12:9

Paul did not receive what he asked for, but he received something even greater—God's sustaining grace.

Then I asked myself another question:

What does the name of Jesus mean to me?

His name means everything.

When I think of Jesus, I think of:

  • Savior
  • Love
  • Hope
  • Peace
  • Joy
  • Grace
  • Mercy
  • Truth
  • Forgiveness
  • Humility
  • Faithfulness
  • Life

In fact, I believe we could use every letter of the alphabet to describe the beauty and greatness of His name.

Perhaps praying in Jesus' name means praying with a heart that reflects who He is.

It means praying in love, with faith, hope, trust, humility, and gratitude. It means seeking God's will above our own. It means praying for our salvation and the salvation of others. It means asking to know Him more, to become more like Him, to be filled with His Holy Spirit, to hear His voice, to receive healing for body, soul, and spirit, and to be made whole.

It also means trusting Him even when we do not understand His answers.

The prophet Isaiah reminds us,

"'For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways,' says the Lord. 'For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.'"
Isaiah 55:8–9

Does praying in Jesus' name mean we will never face trials?

Of course not.

Jesus Himself said,

"In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."
John 16:33

Our Lord suffered more than we could ever imagine, yet He overcame. Because He lives in us, we too can face life's trials with courage and peace.

As I continued to reflect, another verse encouraged my heart:

"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose."
Romans 8:28

Even when we cannot understand God's answers today, we can trust that He is working for our eternal good.

So my conclusion is this:

Yes, prayer always matters.

Prayer is not simply about receiving what we ask for. It is about drawing closer to God.

Every unanswered prayer can become a lesson in trust, patience, surrender, humility, or spiritual growth. And when we look back over our lives, we often discover that God has answered far more prayers than we realized—sometimes in ways we never expected and often with something better than what we had asked for.

Prayer may change our circumstances, but it will always change the heart that sincerely seeks God.

Father, thank You for speaking to us through Your Word. Teach us to pray in the name of Jesus—not only with our lips, but with hearts that seek Your will. Help us to abide in You so that our desires become Your desires. Strengthen our faith, deepen our trust, and help us to remain joyful, knowing that You always hear Your children. Whether Your answer is "yes," "wait," or "no," may we continue to trust that Your plans are perfect and Your love never fails. May Your Word continue to inspire us to pray without ceasing and to walk closely with You every day. In Jesus' precious name, Amen.

JOY

26 comments:

  1. Thanks for this another inspiring post Mami Joy :) Indeed, prayer does help a lot. I know, marami ang nagtatanong kung naririnig ba talaga ni Jesus ang mga prayers natin, ang sagot ay YES! Kung feeling mo di niya dinidinig ang mga panalangin mo, I think you are wrong. May tamang time table si Lord para sa lahat. Kaya hintay hintay lang. Darating din ang tamang panahon para sa mga kahilingan mo sa kanya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right fiel kun coz God's timetable is right:) thanks for visiting:)

      Delete
    2. yes Mami Joy. Hindi very early or too late ang time table ni Lord. He's always on time :)

      Delete
  2. parang eto lang ang message kanina ng pastor namin.. when we pray make sure that it's just for your own good... isipin mo yung makakabuti sa iba at hindi ikaw lang ang masaya tapos yung iba agrabyado...

    God has different ways of answering our prayers...regardless His answer is always the best and what we actually need :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that Genskie:) that is why God is good. I dont know your pastor, but God's message is given to many:)
      Have a nice sunday!

      Delete
  3. I do pray a lot and
    in my prayers i make sure that i thank him and apologies for my sins more than how i ask for anything

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love this post... Ako I never question God no matter how difficult the situation at times

    dapat we pray not just because we ask for something but we thank God for everything including the problems that make us strong din naman eventually.

    pero I don't blame those who question God and His existence... especially yung mga nasa gitna ng sobrang laking pagsubok. i just pray taht sooner they see the light...

    Ganun na lang siguro, we should also pray for those who can't...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank senyor iskwater. Yes, we need to pray for each other because who knows that one day, we are the one who needed to be prayed. But actually, we need to pray everyday coz everyday we need God's guidance.
      Thanks for visiting:)

      Delete
  5. Thank you Joy! This is a helpfull blog for me. Big hug. ( is it also freezing there?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome Jedidja:) yes, it is freezing cold. Minus 6 degrees and cold wind. So I am sitting beside the fireplace:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yessss!!! I does! At the same time po naeexercise po ang faith natin, maslumalalim. Through good times and bad times we should pray, and sometimes, we should pray para mag pasalamat without any motive, o hinihinging kapalit. :))

    nakakalungkot lang minsan na yung mga tao, nag ppray lang pag nasa badtimes, at pag answered prayer na sila, hindi na nila naaalalang mag pray ang mag pasalamat. :(

    Thanks for the lovely messages ate Joy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome Pao kun:) yes we should pray in every season of our lives: vinter, spring, summer or autum:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Joy, I was thinking along these same lines this morning. I am re-reading Kay Arthur's book on the covenant names of God. Thank you for this encouraging post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I believe in prayers too, I think it's so wonderful how we pray and not hear any response but yet it's the best conversation we can have :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know what I'd do without God and without prayer in my life. When my father died in 1969, I was so UPSET... I prayed for God to help me get through that grief --and God DID... I wondered at the time what people do who don't pray and don't believe in God... God is in the center of my life --and I say: Thanks be to God for loving me.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the thoughtful and insightful post, Joy. I believe you are right!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You just gave me something to ponder Ate Joy. I gotta say it all makes sense now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Prayers do help, this am sure. It lessens the burden, it uplifts the spirit specially in times of difficulties; that's how I feel whenever I pray and I thank Him for it. Thanks for this inspiring post ate Joy, happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a very thoughtful reflection. I must confess that lately, I have been lacking time for prayers... too concentrated on the daily routines, etc. and when I do get to pray, I often get distracted thinking of other things. But slowly, I am trying to find my way back to Him.. I know with all my heart that He is the only way. Thank you for sharing this.

    Spanish Pinay

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ako ms.joy, i always make it up to the point to passed by the church after my work..kasi pag uwi ko sa bahay tulog na din.. ansarap na nagagawa ko na to..dati kasi di talaga

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks for this post... na inspire ako... saka nababagay sa akin ang post na ito...

    kailangan talaga natin ng prayer.... kahit anong trials dapat wag bumitiw sa kanya...

    kahit minsan nakakalimot ako sa kanya.... ngayon naisip ko na mali ang ginawa ko..

    Godbless po!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Jondmur! It is God's words for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mommy Joy, I really love this! I believe though that all prayers are answered but not all with a "yes". Because sometimes God is planning for something better than what we pray for -- in His perfect time! God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and your comments are very well appreciated. It is like a cold glass water in a warm sunny day! Blessings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...