Dark!
It is winter. It is dark and cold. For many people, this is also a season of loneliness, fear, and depression.
Those who live in countries where the sun shines almost all year round, yet struggle with poverty, might gladly trade places with us. They dream of having enough food to eat, sleeping in a warm, comfortable bed, living in a cozy home, sitting by a fireplace with a good book, or experiencing the beauty of falling snow and building a snowman.
But if we truly exchanged lives, they might find joy in the comforts we often take for granted, while we could still find ourselves struggling with loneliness and discouragement.
Why is that?
Because loneliness has little to do with what we own and everything to do with what is happening in our hearts.
The Christmas season is meant to be a time of joy, yet for many it is the loneliest time of the year. Empty chairs around the table, memories of loved ones, distance, illness, or broken relationships can make the darkness feel even deeper.
Yet God reminds us:
"The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." (Psalm 34:18)
One thing I have learned is this: whenever I feel lonely, God gently reminds me to come to Him. Jesus Himself lovingly invites us:
"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28)
My husband is a sailor and is away much of the year. My family in the Philippines lives far away. It breaks my heart not to be with my loved ones, especially during Christmas. There are moments when loneliness quietly finds its way into my heart.
But that is why it is such a comfort to come to God. He assures me that I am never alone. He is with me, and He is also with those I love. As He promised:
"Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." (Isaiah 41:10)
He also says:
"Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." (Hebrews 13:5)
These promises help me look beyond my circumstances and see His many blessings. Instead of focusing on what I am missing, He teaches me to become a blessing to others.
King David understood this. During one of his darkest moments he prayed:
"Send forth Your light and Your truth; let them guide me; let them bring me to Your holy mountain, to the place where You dwell." (Psalm 43:3)
Then he continued:
"Then I will go to the altar of God, to God, my exceeding joy; and I will praise You with the harp, O God, my God." (Psalm 43:4)
Imagine that! Even King David experienced loneliness and discouragement. He had wealth, power, success, honor, and everything many people dream of having. Yet none of these things could satisfy the deepest longings of his heart.
He needed God.
In God's presence David found joy, hope, strength, and a song to sing.
Why?
Because God is light.
The Bible tells us:
"God is light; in Him there is no darkness at all." (1 John 1:5)
Just as daylight lifts our spirits after a long, dark winter, God's presence brightens even the darkest places in our hearts.
Because God is good.
"Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in Him." (Psalm 34:8)
When we stop and remember His goodness, gratitude begins to replace discouragement.
Because God is our Helper.
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble." (Psalm 46:1)
His promises give us courage when we are afraid.
Because there is joy in His presence.
"You make known to me the path of life; You will fill me with joy in Your presence, with eternal pleasures at Your right hand." (Psalm 16:11)
There we find comfort for every hurting heart.
Because God is the source of life.
The Apostle John wrote:
"In Him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind." (John 1:4)
When we draw near to Him, He renews our hearts and gives us strength to keep going.
David experienced this, and we can experience it too—whether it is summer or winter, whether life is bright or dark. God's presence has the power to heal lonely hearts. As He fills us with His light, we become lights for others, bringing hope, encouragement, and comfort to those walking through dark seasons.
Jesus said:
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." (John 8:12)
And He also reminds us of our calling:
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden." (Matthew 5:14)
When Christ fills our hearts with His light, we naturally become lights to others. We can encourage the discouraged, comfort the lonely, and share the hope that only Jesus can give.
May His light shine brightly in your heart this Christmas and throughout the coming year.
Merry Christmas, dear friends!
JOY
Merry Christmas Joy!
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas Kim, phioxee and Imelda:)
Deletemerry xmas mommy joy;-)
ReplyDeleteThanks Phioxee. Same to you:)
DeleteJoy, I will catch up with reading one day but for now, let me wish you a Merry Christmas and a happy new year. :-) I am so glad to have met you.
ReplyDelete~Imelda
Thanks Imelda. I am happy, I met you too:)
DeleteMa'm Joy!!!! pa hugs naman po *hugs* :D
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas po and thanks for this very inspiring post. Actually, parang may "Christmas Blues" akong nararamdaman ngayon and I dunno why lols. I'm glad may nabasa akong ganitong post this Christmas day, it lifted my spirit somehow. :)
Thanks for heartwarming comment Fiel -kun. Merry christmas:)
ReplyDeleteI agree that it's wonderful to be able to encourage others. I will strive to be able to do so. Light in your card is wonderful. It encourage me.
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas and a Happay New Year!
Million hugs to u Mama Joy.
ReplyDeleteTalagang sa kalungkutan ay may kasiyahan kung ikaw ay nasa Dyos :)
Merry Chirstmas Mama Joy :)
Merry Christmas Ms Joy!
ReplyDelete☆ * :: *: ☆ Merry Christmas ☆: * :: * ☆
ReplyDeleteCongratulations to a wonderful Christmas.
From Japan.
My name is Ryoma Sakamoto.
made a pic greeting for you ate joy, nasa blogsite ko lang po. di ko kasi alam san ko isesend hehehe happy holidays!!
ReplyDeleteMerry, Merry Christmas.
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas Ms. Joy! :)
ReplyDeleteAs always, very inspiring post from you Mommy Joy! I know na ang dark at cold winter dyan ay napapainit at napapaliwanag mo by sharing the words of God! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteIn Him there is no darkness, He is the light. Blessings and hugs this season and year around!
ReplyDelete