Monday, July 16, 2012

Counting the sheeps!


Counting the sheeps from one to one hundred, Have you ever tried that? I did.
Photo by: Ole Johnny Male
Many years ago, I had problems sleeping at night for reasons that I couldn't really define . And they said that if you count sheeps from one to one hundred, you probably sleep before you reach 100. But, to no avail. Then I tried exercise, eating foods that makes one dizzy before sleeping or a glass of red wine. Nothing helped at all. As a believer, I prayed to God, I cried, I read scriptures before going to bed, but none of these helped. I was really desperate. Where was my faith? Then I went to a doctor so that he can prescribe sleeping pills for me. So I begun taking sleeping pills so that I can sleep at night and work at daytime. I know that in the long run if I won't stop taking pills, I will be dependent of the medicine and it won't do me any good. And it is not the kind of life that I wanted to. Besides, it makes me dizzy during  daytime and I was  depressed and my temper was really short. So, sometimes I tried to stopped , and then no sleep, then begin again and the vicious circle goes on. 

After one year of living a miserable life because of lack of sleep and for all the pills that I have taken, I finally decided that I won't take any pills anymore. It just make my life unbearable. I told God that from that time on, I will put my life in His hands.  I was to tired trying to make myself sleep. And if I die for lack of sleep, at least I put my life in His hands and that gave me peace . I did not want to try anymore, so I let Him do the rest. That night, I slept very well, without pills . I just trust God.

And that gives me a lesson. I tried to make things happen, I forgot to let God make things work for me. When I finally surrender everything to him, His peace filled my body, soul and spirit. And that cured me. 

Photo by Ole Johnny Male
It reminds myself of the the story about the sheeps that wanted to cross over the bridge, but there was a monster under the bridge. The small ones just told the monster that a bigger one is coming, so he can take the biggest one instead. Then the small ones crossed over the bridge. Then, it was the biggest sheep's turn to cross over the bridge , but he was bigger than the monster  and the monster was defeated. 

What I learn from this story is that I have to let God who is bigger than me, fight for me. When the enemy attacks, I just say to him that my God is bigger than you. 

How about you? Is there anything to hard for God? He is bigger than our mountains of problems. We only need to put our trust in Him and be obedient!

Now I don't count sheeps, but blessings. When mountains of problems comes, I focus on the promises of God and the assurance that He said " He will never leave us or forsake us.

Photo by me:)
                                                
 JOY

13 comments:

  1. you have a good decision......ipaubaya ang lahat kay God.....di rin talaga maganda pag take ng pills lagi..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very encouraging word today Joy. God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very inspiring words... good to know you can now sleep soundly... I am very lucky that I don't have any problem in sleeping, MASAN ako eh, masandal lang tulog na... hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel. Yes, I am very thankful now that I can sleep well now without those pills and for answered prayer. Thanks for the visit.

      Delete
  4. Hi Joy, You always have a great message for us... It ALL goes back to God and our relationship with God.... Great message.

    Luckily, I've never had trouble sleeping (except for a month or two after my last surgery --when I'd wake up at 5 a.m. for no reason)... I was miserable during those two months---so I do feel sorry for someone who has trouble getting a good night's rest...

    Have a wonderful day.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Joy,
    I hope you're having a wonderful day! I love Psalm 23. It's such an encouraging psalm. I'm glad to hear that you are getting better sleep.
    I love the story you shared about the sheep.
    I'm trying to trust God each day to fight my battles, even though it's hard to let go of the control.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always have encouraging words for all of us! That's why I love your blog, you always give me a dose of inspiration.. Thanks so much! And thank you God for all the blessings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, Joy.

    Such a lesson to learn, and all for God. Thanks that you are now looking good and happy, which shows how rested you are and the peace that only He can bestow, shows in you.

    God bless you and I look forward to more blessings to count with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I relieved to hear you don't take pill to sleep now. Your talk about God was easy to understand for me.Thank you for sharing your experience.
    Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joy, what a great lesson you shared with us here. Thank you! I'm so glad your happy and restful now and count your blessings instead of sheep!

    ReplyDelete
  10. After Sarah died the dr. prescribed a sleeping pill for me. I took one bottle and quit. They were a blessing for those first few nights without sleep but, like you, it wasn't the way I wanted to live. How happy I am that God fights for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the sheep story and the great pictures. Such good illustrations. Counting sheep never worked for me. I'm grateful that going to sleep has rarely been a problem for me. Thank you for sharing this encouraging post.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and your comments are very well appreciated. It is like a cold glass water in a warm sunny day! Blessings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...